Responsible for performing CLIA testing and reporting test results. Will be responsible for performing technical and scientific processes and procedures in a high complexity genetic testing CLIA certified laboratory under the supervision of the Laboratory Director or Designee. He/She will perform high complexity laboratory tests according to approved policies and procedures for all phases of testing; pre-analytic, analytic, and post-analytic, as well as general laboratory systems. This position will also perform troubleshooting, maintenance and calibration of instrumentation and equipment used to perform the testing.
Essential Job Functions
- Performs clinical laboratory assays to provide data for diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of disease.
- Analyzes test results and enters findings in the Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS).
- Performs quality control studies to ensure accuracy of clinical data.
- Performs routine preventative maintenance on assigned instruments and equipment according to established schedule and procedure.
- Verifies instrument performance by checking and calibrating specific lab instruments and documents data.
- Records on instrument logs any maintenance needed of equipment.
- Complete other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- The qualified candidate will have a Bachelor’s degree in the chemical, physical or biological sciences.
- Knowledge of molecular biology and/or medical genetics is preferred.
- A current California Clinical Laboratory Scientist License required. American Society for Clinical (ASCP) preferred. He/She must meet the requirements for Testing Personnel under CLIA regulations (42 CFR, part 493).
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, and Internet Applications.
- Must be professional and ability to work well under pressure and time frames. Must be able to multi-task, be a self-starter and dynamic team player who possesses a strong attention to detail and excellent verbal and written skills.
While performing the duties the employee is:
- constantly required to sit, and to reach to use computers and other office equipment
- occasionally stand for extended periods of time, up to four (4) hours/time
- occasionally required to lift up to 30 pounds
- constantly required to view objects at close and distant ranges
- frequently required to communicate with others
Note: For the purpose of this summary, occasionally is used to represent up to 1/3 of the time given to the work day, frequently represents 1/3 to 2/3 of the time and constantly represents 2/3 or more of the time.
Employee frequently works in a professional office environment and lab with lots of computer equipment, machinery, tools, and moderate amounts of noise and activity. Employee may occasionally work at client locations and may occasionally be required to travel. The work environment is fast-paced and demanding. Off-shift, weekend and overtime duties may be required as assigned by the manager.